A great big blank

is what I have when I try to think of anything to write today. I got nothin'. It could have just a little bit to do with the fact I decided to reread the Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries by Dorothy Sayers and stayed up far too late last night finishing the one I was in the middle of. It makes one a wee bit blurry.

For example, the car J. drives failed its emissions test, so we had to take it to a shop to have it repaired. (Fun times, I tell you.) So this morning, J. drives the van to work. When the repair shop calls to say the car is done, I call J. and ask if he had a free hour and I would pick him up and he could get the car. He pauses for a moment and asks, "Pick me up in what?" It takes some time before I remember that I am carless for the day and cannot pick him up, nor do the errands I was mentally planning, either.

Since I've discovered that I cannot write when I am tired, I don't know why I'm even trying now. To add just a little content to this post, I'll give you a couple more books for your read-aloud-to-boys reading list. We finished The Black Stallion Returns recently and the boys loved it as much, if not more, than the first one. Sometimes sequels don't live up to the first book, but in this case we were all quite satisfied.

Right now we're coming to the end of Chancy and the Grand Rascal by Sid Fleischman. I knew it would be hard to follow the Black Stallion Returns, and wasn't quite sure what to read. When D. suggested we read one of the Sid Fleischman books we had checked out of the library I decided to give it a try, but wasn't sure it was going to hold the boys' attention. I was really wrong. Sid Fleischman does tall tale telling very, very well and more than once both boys were laughing so hard I had to pause in my reading to let them catch their breath. Even a couple of days later, D. will still just start chuckling to himself over some funny part. It's not a book I was familiar with, but it has been a lot of fun.

Before I go, I should add a warning about the Chancy book. The overarching story line is that Chancy and his three younger brother and sisters were separated when their parents died. As was the custom at the time (post Civil War), the children were parceled out to whomever would take them. Chancy goes on his adventure in order to find them and put the family back together again. TM has not identified with these children or their predicament in any way, but I could see a child who had been adopted have this theme cause some inner turmoil depending on where they are. I still wholeheartedly recommend the book, but it is also good to not read things that you know will be too difficult for your child. Use your best judgement.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Kenzie on the beach

Apple picking in the rain