Book orders

You all know I love books, right? And as much as I love my Kindle, real books with covers and pages are still my favorite. I have always loved books. I would organize them, make little card pockets for them, and then rarely lend them out because other people might not return them or treat them as nicely as I did. (I don't like to break the spines on books... cookbooks being the exception.) One of my favorite things was when the Scholastic book order forms were passed out in school. My parents were understanding of my book obsession and were willing to buy me just about any book on the order form. Undoubtedly my favorite part of school was the day the book orders came in and I got to go home with a whole stack of brand new books. (My fifth grade year, I ordered so many books my teacher let me have the books I earned him as well!)

I still love books, but now that I am the one who has to foot the bill it is the very unusual moment when I am the owner of a brand new stack of books. But my friends know me very well. A couple of weeks ago a group of them got together and took me out to dinner in celebration of H. joining our family. Now this would have been treat enough, but they didn't stop there. They also pooled their money and bought me a very large gift certificate to Amazon. This is like giving me a Scholastic order form on steroids. I just kept it for a week savoring the anticipation of deciding what to get with it, and yesterday I allowed myself the pleasure of picking out a couple of books to order. I still have quite a bit of it left, so I will get to do it again once I read the books that arrive.

What did I get? Well, I'm leading a book discussion for our mom's group at church this summer on one of the hospitality books I mentioned a while back. In the spirit of research (research=books=quiet=something I love), I thought it would be good to get a couple more books in the same vein and do some comparing. I'll let you  know if I find anything good.

Since they'll be here soon, it is a little extra motivation to finish the costumes for our history co-op Egypt feast this weekend. It would be difficult to explain to my children that they don't have costumes because their mother was sitting around reading. Difficult, but I'm afraid they wouldn't find it surprising. Expect a lot more on the feast in the coming days. And let me know if you want information about the book discussion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Kenzie on the beach

Apple picking in the rain