Surprise!

Last night was the end of the year party for the volunteers of our church's midweek program (which the children's choir is a part of). Unbeknownst to me, it was also a surprise baby shower! Everyone did a great job of keeping it a secret...even the young adults who volunteer whom I see on almost on a daily basis. It was wonderful. I now have some really lovely new things for these two little girls to wear, and since the clothes I have have already gone through three girls, that's really nice. There were also some books, and gift cards, and a diaper bag (something I've never actually owned). I feel quite blessed and loved.

We have also been blessed by friends and family giving us some of the 'big' things that we didn't have doubles of (cribs, high chairs, etc.). One friend, who has twins herself, has provided two car seats plus some other things. (Thanks, L.!) We feel quite prepared as far as baby 'stuff' goes. I even splurged and bought myself a new sling...this is a pouch-type that supposedly will accommodate two small babies at the same time. I can't wait to try it out.

All of this helps to make it seem more real that we are going to have two new babies living here soon. I am particularly bad at really believing I'm walking around with a baby (much less two) growing inside me. Emotionally I just can't seem to make the jump from all the discomfort to a sweet little baby. It isn't really until I'm holding the baby in my arms that I realize the baby actually exists. (And yes, the babies kick and move, but really I feel more like I'm in the movie "Alien" than having a baby.)

Comments

Just Mairs said…
That's funny, Elizabeth - I thought I was the only one with that odd pregnancy quirk. I love labor and delivery I think because it's always the first time I feel *really* connected to the baby inside of me. I love, love, love the Bradley method because I feel like the baby and I are working together through labor and the real bonding starts during delivery. I've always been a bit jealous of dh because he always seeems so much more bonded to our babies when they are in utero...odd, huh? lol

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach