A cold summer salad

I find it is so much easier to cook in the cooler months than the warmer ones. In the winter, you don't mind having the kitchen warm and toasty because things are in the oven and on the stove. In the summer, this is exactly what you do not want. It makes food preparation a little more challenging because you can't grill every day. (Plus, when it is so brutally hot outside, who wants to stand over an even hotter grill?) For today's dinner, I planned a cold salad that I could do the cooking part in the morning before it got too bad and then not have to turn the oven on in the hottest part of the day. I kind of made it up, starting with what was in the pantry and refrigerator and going from there.

Since it was a hit with everyone, I thought I'd share the recipe with you. (Sorry, didn't think to take a picture. Instead I was sitting with a screaming R. on my lap. That's pretty much life around here.)

Cold Summer Farro Salad - served 10 people with ample leftovers (it's what I'm having for lunch)

Boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I used four)
1 qt of green beans
2 cups farro (an Italian whole grain)
1 jar of green olives
1 jar of pitted kalamata olive
Feta cheese, crumbled (I think I used 12 oz)
Raw spinach (maybe 5 generous handfuls?)
1 bottle of Caesar salad dressing (or make your own)

In the morning, bake the chicken breast. I sprayed a 9x13, then added the chicken, covering it with olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Cook for 45 minutes or until done at 350. Cool, cover, and put in the refrigerator to cool. Trim the beans and cut them into shorter lengths. Cook in boiling water for a few minutes, then immediately cool in cold water. (It stops the beans from cooking further.) Drain, place in a bowl, and put in the refrigerator. Now cook the farro. Boil a pot of water, as you would for pasta. When it is boiling add the farro and stir, turn the heat down to a simmer and cook for about 30 minutes. The farro should be chewy, but not crunchy. Drain when done, put in a bowl, and place in the refrigerator. You've now done the hard (and hot) part of dinner.

Spend a few minutes thinking about all the things you'll be able to do because making dinner will take about ten minutes.

When it's time to get dinner ready, cut the chicken into cubes and place in a large bowl. Add in the rest of the pre-cooked ingredients as well as the others on the list. Toss with the salad dressing. That's it; you're done! You could add some good crusty bread if you wanted, but I just served the salad for dinner and everyone had enough to eat. We had cherries for dessert to top it off.

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach