Dinner in Russia

This past weekend we had our dinner for Russia. We made borscht, had some store bought rye bread, and made spice cookies for dessert.

Since the borscht was going to be of questionable popularity (some of us really like beets, others of us are not so sure about them), I decided to go with a more modified recipe. Our borscht recipe came from this book:


I bought this book way back when we did our unit study on the Arctic and the Antarctic. What was interesting to me as I read it was the socializing between the different nations that had stations at the south pole. The authors got their borscht recipe from the Russian station. I thought that qualified as being authentic enough. As well as beets, it had potatoes, carrots, and cabbage, thought the beets turned it all a lovely shade of red. The masses liked it better than I hoped they would.

The cookies (which I have to admit had more devoted fans than the borscht did) were pryaniki or Russian spice cookies. They were pretty easy and everyone really liked them. I think they are particularly good with tea. We will probably make them again.



We finished our travel journals for Russian and exited the country yesterday. Today we head to Hungary.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach