Well this explains a lot

It seems that there is another, little known, benefit of having a large family: the ability to play telephone around the dinner table. Now, I know almost all of you are familiar with the game, but since I know I have a large international audience, I'll explain it in case it's an American thing. To play telephone, you get a large number of people to sit in a circle. One person comes up with a sentence, and whispers it to the next person. That person then whispers what they heard to the person on their other side. The message gets passed from person to person around the circle until it reaches the last person before the one who started the message. That person then announces what the message is, often to the hilarious amusement of others because it is often extremely far removed from the original message.

So last night we played telephone at the end of dinner. I don't even remember what started it, but it was pretty funny. The most hilarious example was the one the L. began. Her sentence was the rather non-sensical, "Olive wears a wig." Perhaps it was the initial non-sensical aspect of it, but whatever it was, it definitely morphed into something far removed from the original. The ending sentence ended up being, "Father has a BB gun." I am still a little baffled as to how this change actually happened. Trying to make sense of it isn't helped by the fact that somewhere around the middle of the chain the sentence had become, "Father has hairy armpits." You can only imagine the laughing until tears came that happened in the process. It was pretty fun, and I highly recommend trying it.

But it does explain something. I very clearly told the child next to me what the original sentence was. What she passed along was nothing close. So, this means that when I tell a child, "Please go and pick up your room," they really and truly think I said, "Please go build with Legos." It truly does explain a lot.
_______________
I have a new article published... 6 Reasons You Should Use the Adoption Community  As usual, the more you share, the happier my paycheck is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Kenzie on the beach

Apple picking in the rain