Park therapy

I decided to be the fun mom today, and take everyone, who wanted to, to try out a new (to us) park this morning.

When we arrive, everyone piles out of the van and rushes off to the play equipment. By the time I wander over, this is what I see.


That is TM on the top, L. on the bottom, and H. (yes, H.) there in the middle continuing to climb up. I did not suggest she do this. She saw the climbing ropes and scrambled up of her own volition. I probably stood there for a good moment with my mouth hanging open, staring. She went all the way to the top, stayed there for a bit, and then got herself down without any help or even seeming as though she would need help.

Do you have any idea exactly how extraordinary this is?!?

Let's back up a bit, shall we? When H. first came to us, she moved like a little old lady who is terribly afraid of breaking a hip. She moved slowly and tentatively, inching each foot along, especially if the ground appeared the least bit uneven. This inability to move about in her environment comfortably was especially highlighted when we were in New Hampshire a few months after she arrived home. We went for a hike in the nearby mountains, and it was... challenging. For everyone. (Hiking in New Hampshire... or why we don't pay for physical therapy)

Over time, H. gradually become more aware and comfortable with her abilities. But still, even three years later, I was still writing posts about H.'s small successes. Such as when we visited Maggie Daley park, and H. tried the slide. Yes, it seems it took three years for her to feel comfortable enough to try a large slide. (Playing Tourist.. or our first glimpse of Maggie Daley Park)

And now here we are, yet three more years later, climbing rope ladders a good 15 feet tall, if not more. It's here that I'm grateful for this blog, that I can so easily look back at dates and events. It makes it that much easier to truly appreciate exactly how far this child has come. And to remind myself exactly how long it took to get here. I will admit to being driven a little bit crazy by parents of newly adopted older children who feel something is wrong if their child has not completely adjusted in the span of a few months. It's all I can do not to YELL that it took my child three years to try a slide. In general, I do try to be patient and understanding, but still...

Anyway, back to our morning.

I thought this picture was fun, since every child on this play structure was mine.

I think we will be visiting this park a lot. Everyone had fun, and it turns out that some of the equipment is right at some children's next ability, and was just enough challenging to be fun. For instance, take a look at Miss R. She actually walked across these stepping stones by herself. Trust me when I say this is possibly more exciting than the picture of H. up on top. Especially when I add that she didn't even shriek once. Trying something new, physically, without shrieking about it is pretty huge in our world.



Y. really wanted to do these stepping stones, but her legs and her core balance are still developing. I helped her across the ones I showed you up above, but with the railings, she could do these others on her own. I'll keep coming back to this park, if only to allow Y. the time she needs to be able to conquer this particular challenge.



I was also super proud of H. wanted to try the brachiation rings. Upper body strength is still a challenge for her.


R. had a pretty adventurous morning.

And then it started thundering and raining, so we had to head home.



Comments

Donna said…
WOW! I totally share your amazement and excitement for H and R especially!! WOW!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach