Friday bullets, February 23, 2018

A little late today, but that kind of sums up how the whole day has been... running just a little behind through the whole day.

  • B. came and joined us for dinner tonight. It was great to see him, even if he did happen to mention that his new job is listed as one of the most dangerous jobs in the US. 
  • A. got her acceptance letter to NIU today, and she will start back to college in the fall. I'm proud of her for working all this out on her own.
  • The worasaurus is still making the occasional appearance. This usually happens when the worasaurus is hungry. Graham crackers and peanut butter seem to do the trick for taming worasauruses and calming them down.
  • Earlier this week, on the heels of his earlier croissant success, D. decided to try his hand at brioches. These are an even more time consuming pastry. Thus, on Wednesday morning, D. comes and presents me with this for my breakfast.


They were very, very good.
  • On Thursday night, we celebrated Y.'s 11th birthday. She chose Chinese food for her birthday dinner and apple pie with whipped cream for her birthday dessert. That pretty much sums up her personal take on combining her two cultures right there. 

I cut her Chinese name into the top of the pie.

Chinese checkers... she had been wanting the game, and we didn't own it.

A copy of a picture book we own, but in Mandarin with a CD telling the story in Mandarin. 
  • We didn't have any doctor's appointments this week, and it was lovely.
  • Tomorrow we have a builder coming to look at our land and hear what kind of barn we hope to put on it. I'm more than a little nervous that what it will cost will far exceed our budget. It's hard when you have waiting for so very long for something and it's not a done deal yet.
  • We finished Winter Holiday this week for our teatime read aloud. This was my second time reading the book out loud, and I think I love it even more with this second read through. It is just so well done, with believable kid-sized adventures and imaginative children. If you haven't read it, you really, really should. Reading it in the winter this time did make it even better.
  • I have a new article published: Want to Adopt a Baby from China? 6 Things You Should Know Please feel free to click and read and share as much as you like.
  • We have been pretty soggy here. We had a lot of snow that all melted pretty fast, and then had a lot of rain. It made the little creek that flows across the front of our property pretty swollen. J. wasn't quite sure his small sedan was going to make it across the creek to the road. He did, but it was a bit exciting. A. took a picture.

Enjoy your weekends everyone!

Comments

Carla said…
Would "Winter Holiday" be appropriate for my 6 year old son? I'm getting tired of re-reading "Charlotte's Web", "The Tale of Despereaux", and the Little House series. They are all great stories and I love them, but they're losing their luster for me (not my son).
thecurryseven said…
If your son is a good listener (and it sounds as though he is), I would say yes. But, I would also start at the beginning of the series with Swallows and Amazons. The only thing that might throw him is some of the sailing terms, but my non-sailing children just kind of let those slide by. Every so often, I'll stop and define something (often after I've looked it up, because I'm not a sailor, either) if it is a word that comes up fairly often. After Swallows and Amazon's comes Swallowdale, and then Winter Holiday. I would skip Peter Duck at this point. It doesn't really follow the story and the adventure is a little edgier than in the other books.

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Kenzie on the beach

Apple picking in the rain