Labor Day

Yesterday we did a little laboring. I realized I needed to finish my homeschooling planning. What I thought was just going to be a quick type my notes into the computer-thing, turned into a four hour extravaganza of last minute planning. But it's done, for the most part, though I will have to be more careful than I usually am to be on top of things. I like to head into a new school year with an incredibly detailed plan, down to lists of supplies that I need for every activity. That didn't happen this year, so I will need to be looking a couple of weeks ahead as we go through the year, to be sure I have everything on hand when I need it. But it's done. Three weeks ago, I wasn't entirely sure this would happen.

J. did some lawn mowing. Pretty much, J. is always doing some lawn mowing these days. He also made the storage area underneath the playhouse usable, as well as putting up screening so that we don't have to actually see the piles of stuff that we are storing underneath it. I forgot to take a picture, but it looks much better.

There was one exciting moment during the mowing. As J. was mowing, he noticed a garter snake doing its darnedest to stay ahead of the mower. Of course, he stopped and caught it. L. has been trying to find and catch a snake for days. See?

P.

Y., P., H., and L.

G. was not looking at the snake because she was holding a toad.

Yes, they let the snake go again.

Then last night we had some friends over for dinner. These friends are actually acquaintances-now-friends from Evanston/Chicago. They moved at about the same time we did, for about the same reasons. It's been nice to have someone to talk to and compare notes about moving after being in the same place for so long. And our children have all hit it off and enjoy spending time together. It was a great way to end a long weekend.

Tomorrow we will not be starting back to school. I never do actual schoolwork on the day after Labor Day, you know. Instead we will be heading out to meet some new friends and explore a new place. Hopefully the rain will cooperate for us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Kenzie on the beach

Apple picking in the rain