See, we're doing something about school

There are a lot of moving pieces to get this crew ready for the school year, and unpacking and getting settled in a new place were not the only ones. Another part was just figuring out logistics. We don't have the big school room we used last year, where everyone could keep their school books and supplies laying about. While we do have school storage, it is not nearly so large, and we won't be working in that room, we will be using the dining room each morning instead. 

I've used kitchens and dining rooms before, and the most challenging thing about that is getting them cleared off for use as actual tables to eat on afterwards. We needed an easy way that people could carry their stuff about, and keep it contained. I decided that if each person had a bag for their books and a pencil case for pencils, erasers, and crayons, doing the moving and cleaning would be easier. So we did some crafts. I bought each child a new, blank canvas bag and a new pencil box. Everyone decorated their and they are now hanging on hooks behind the door in the studio where they will live.


R.

K.

H.

Y. and G.

L.

G.

Some of the finished products.

This cute bag is Y.'s, 

And this fantastic dragon is L.'s.


I have also started to plan for the school year. TM is signed up for a couple of classes with a co-op, P. is signed up for a class at the community college, D. has planned enough coursework for himself to keep busy for several years, so really, the bulk of the planning is for my grade schoolers. I love grade school! It just feels so easy. To keep it fun, I've decided that we are going to go on a 'round the world tour this year. I'm in the middle of figuring out how many countries we can visit, and what that is going to look like. You know it will involve a lot of books, and we'll throw in some music and art and food as well. I am going to try to hit the seven wonders of the world as we travel around, as well as some major architectural sights. I have passports to stamp, and we'll keep travel journals. Now, I just have to figure out the details. My new library is going to get to know my name very, very well, as the massive piles of reserved books show up.

I have also decided that this is the year that all five of my grade schoolers will be playing the piano as well. Y. and K. started a bit last year, but the craziness of the year got the better of us. Plus, I packed their books, so it was difficult to play. This year, I'll add in G., L., and H. as well. Because I will have so many siblings starting at the same time, I've had to do a little research into piano methods because I want them each in a different one. (There is so much less craziness that way.) They will become my little guinea pigs as I try them each out. H. was trickier, as I wanted to find a method that would be appropriate for her and the speed at which she learns things. I have some leads, but have yet to purchase anything.

Actually doing the research does help me to get a little excited about the school year starting. The next question is, can I actually do the amount of research and planning that I typically like to do, before we should be starting. No, I take that back. I could totally do it. The real question is, can I do it and still interact with the family in the meantime. That's the real question.

Comments

dawn said…
Just want to let you know how much I enjoy reading your blog. I'm glad to see you are getting settled into your new home. Blessings to you and your family!
dawn

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Kenzie on the beach

Apple picking in the rain