Friday bullets, March 3, 17

Still no word about the people who walked through the house on Tuesday, so I guess I will just continue as if they had never been here. Sigh. As if I had a choice in the matter anyway. In other news...



  • Well, it's not quite other news, because it still involves packing, but look what arrived on the doorstep yesterday. That would be an enormous roll of bubble wrap and a box of newsprint. I'm to the point where I need to start doing better packing than merely throwing junk in boxes, so decided I should collect the needed supplies. I may have to hide the enormous roll of bubble wrap, though. The minute it was brought into the kitchen, multiple children asked me, "Can if pop it?" Right. I just paid money for bubble wrap just so you could pop it. No, my dear children. You cannot.
  • I'm more than a little fascinated by the 700 page full color catalog that arrived with the packing materials. Who knew you could buy boxes and packing materials in such variety? It's like an office store on steroids. Suddenly, I feel the need to buy all the boxes and containers. Don't worry, I won't, but still. It's so cool.
  • R. has announced she is a robot today. I'm pretty sure she doesn't have any idea what a robot actually is, but has heard brothers and sisters pretend to be robots. While she may not quite understand what she is saying, the fact that she is trying to imitate siblings is a step in the right direction. She has spent so much of the past year inside her little disassociated bubble, that I am thrilled with any indication that she is aware of the broader world around here.
  • One of the things D. likes to do with us (his parents) is to watch Speechless. It is fun to watch it with him because he is the best audience when he enjoys something. We have now gotten to the point where I can send him into fits of laughter with just one or two words that remind him of parts of the show he found particularly funny. It is an awesome power that I have.
  • L., my little hypochondriac, has decided her knee hurts. I think she fell on it at one point and it's bruised. From long and vast experience with this, I am not even close to thinking about a doctor yet. The child with the flair for drama, though, has other ideas. She has borrowed Y.'s forearm crutches, which usually sit idle, and has been using them to move around... when it suits her, otherwise she is running and jumping as usual. The trouble is, she has fallen more and injured herself more while trying to use them, that I'm actually afraid she will do real damage to herself. 
  • Every night there are horses in my dreams. Just sayin'
  • K. fell asleep last night deciding how best he could be a super hero today. He hoped that there were many accidents today so that he could be called into action. He is currently dressed in multiple layers so that he can hide his super hero cape until the absolute last minute and so that no one will guess he is a super hero.
  • TM and I investigated the H Mart store right next to where his weekly appointment is. I think that it will become a regular shopping spot for me after we move, as it has most of the Asian foods that I usually buy at my regular market. Actually as far as dumplings and steamed buns, it has an amazing huge selection. Can I just tell you what a relief this is? I was kind of concerned about leaving my easy access to foods we often eat. I just cannot shop regularly at more mainstream grocery stores any more. I realized that I buy just as much Middle Eastern food, as I was wondering the aisles yesterday, so came home and did some internet research. It seems there is a Middle Eastern market just a few miles from our appointment place that I may check out next week. I realize how spoiled I am in where I shop when it is going to take at least three separate stores to supply what I find in one. TM is relieved that we will continue to have easy access to prawn chips.
  • Finally, I'm going to start advocating for another child as well as Sapphire. Her name is Mabel and is in desperate need of a family. This is not hyperbole. She is 13 and will turn 14 at the beginning of September. Once she turns 14, her chance of having a family ends. This child is only a few months older than my D. Can you imagine? I certainly cannot. The difficult is that any family will need to move RIGHT NOW! This is not one of those situations where you can dither about it. Mabel doesn't have that kind of time. She needs a family to start working this very minute. It can be done, but it will take some effort. Let me introduce you.

Mabel has CP, just like our Y. And just like our Y., it only affects her legs, everything else it pretty typical. She seems to be quite intelligent, and reads a lot. She currently uses a wheelchair. Before having hip surgery, she could walk some, but for various reasons in the after math of surgery, walking has become more difficult. It could be with further medical intervention and therapy she could regain the ability to walk, but any parents going into this would have to be OK with continued wheel chair use. Currently, her orphanage is willing to waive the orphanage donation (~$5000), and an agency, if they are used is willing to add another $5000 towards her adoption. As we all know, money talks. If Mabel were to suddenly have a huge adoption grant available, there is a far more likely possibility that a family would (could?) come forward. A large grant is the only reason that we were able to adopt R. If you cannot adopt Mabel, you can still contribute to her grant fund. There are also some more pictures and videos on that site if you are interested. Please feel free to share about her. Time is literally running out.

  • And let's not forget Sapphire, either. Why don't we all just pray her a family so that she never runs the risk of never having a family like Mabel is.

Comments

Tanya said…
Now you know what to get them for Christmas: bubble wrap!
Angie Butcher said…
Where we live in Colorado is an international foods dead zone. Unless I want Mexican junk food.

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Kenzie on the beach

Apple picking in the rain