Resorting to a book report

I have so many things that I'd like to share, but for various reasons, can't. For instance, tonight the play version of Jurassic Park, for which M. spend countless hours making dinosaurs, opens and then I can finally share pictures of the puppets. We will also be going strawberry picking soon and then I can share pictures of  that. And I need to take some pictures of H. to show the improvement in her face after two months of healing, but I haven't done that yet.

Things with hosting are going well and the 3 year old is great pals with the little girls and K, but I have decided that that is a topic about which I cannot blog. It's not for lack of interesting ideas to share, but who wants to move into someone's home and suddenly find themselves the subject of public blog fodder. Nope. Can't go there. I did pick up a book at the library yesterday called, Teach Yourself Spanish in 24 Hours. If only it were that easy, right? At least I have a step up in that Spanish is very similar to Italian and sort of similar to French, both of which I am more or less familiar with. (Or was at one time... it must all be in there somewhere.) I have a grasp of general grammatical structure, it's the vocabulary which will take some time. Hindsight being 20/20, I do wish I'd studied it in school.

And since I clearly have nothing at all so say, I thought I'd share one of the books that came home from the library with us yesterday. My habit is to roam the non-fiction shelves and grab, at random, whatever catches my eye. This way we have books to look at that cover a broad range of topics and who knows what is going to strike a child's fancy that they otherwise might not have known about? This book is called, What the World Eats by Peter Menzel and Faith D'Aluisio. I have spent quite a bit of time looking at it already. It is fascinating. Faith D'Aluisio was also responsible for Material World (the book which photographed people around the world with their possessions outside their homes). This book does the same thing, except it shares photographs of families from around the world with all the food they eat in one week. It includes detailed lists and also costs. And when you get to the photograph of the family of Sudanese refugees living in Chad, you will be stopped in your tracks and want to weep. Never has a photograph (especially coming in the middle of such a book) made me so thankful and so heart-broken at the same time. They just have so little and we have so, so much. Find the book and take a look for yourself. But make a cup of tea and find a quiet hour first, because it's not a book that you can look at in just a few minutes.

Comments

Lucy said…
A lot of the photos from that book are online http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1626519_1373680,00.html; my favorite is Ecuador - replace some of those grain sacks with guinea pig and they're eating pretty well.
sandwichinwi said…
Yep. We own that book, and Material World AND WOMEN in the Material World. All great books and my kids like to pore over them. You can usually find them for a good price used on Amazon. They are heartbreaking and fascinating and inspiring.

And I'm glad it wasn't a real (bookish) book report!

Blessings,
Sandwich

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Kenzie on the beach

Apple picking in the rain